Disclaimer:

Due to FTC regulations, any book reviewed on this site was sent for free by the author/publisher to The Pagan & The Pen Book Reviews. We are not paid to give reviews by Author or Publisher. Once review has been made, said books are deleted.

May 5, 2011

The Girl in the Painting by Anne Brooke



The Pagan & The Pen Book Reviews

Title: The Girl in the Painting
Author: Anne Brooke
Buy Link
Publisher: Untreed Reads Publishing
Genre: Literary/paranormal short story
Length: 4 pgs.
Reviewed by: Gray Dixon

RATINGS FOR:
Cover: 4
Presentation: 4
Editing: 3.5
Story: 3.5
Writing Ability: 3.5

Overall Card Rating

                                               


About The Book: When Celia becomes obsessed with her grandmother's painting, she realizes her life will never be the same again. How can she ever break free?


The Review:
Although only four pages in length, the very short story from author Anne Brooke drew me in and kept my attention. Celia becomes immediately obsessed with the painting inherited from her grandmother. The image of the young boy and girl in a cornfield slowly creeps into her everyday life until Celia can do nothing but sit and stare for hours at the images, especially of the young woman. The image moves and Celia wants to capture the feelings she has by staring into the picture, forsaking her work and daily activities.
This is the first story I have read from Ms. Brooke and it was a pleasant surprise but it ended all too soon and left me wanting more. There were some minor editing errors, which distracted me momentarily (I’m a real stickler for editing errors; as a four-page piece, there wasn’t any excuse to have them.). Also, sentences tended to ramble, but all in all, I did enjoy the short piece. I would be interested in knowing if a longer length of Girl in the Painting is in the works, I would certainly read what might have happened to Celia as she starts a new journey in her life.
Overall, I enjoyed this short story and would have scored higher, but the abrupt ending left me disappointed. I wanted more. As mentioned earlier, the editing also was a distraction. If you want something to read fast while sitting waiting at the doctor’s office or have ten to fifteen minutes to spare, The Girl in the Painting will help pass the time.

Pagan Elements: N/A

0 comments:

Post a Comment